Best Elliptical Machines: Want to bring the gym to your home or work place? Are you too uncomfortable to work out in front of other people? Or are you too busy to hit the gym? Why not bring your favourite gym equipments home so that you have the freedom to work anytime of the day and however you like. An elliptical machine is one of the most convenient and common gym equipments to bring in home. You could reap in a range of health benefits by pull off minimal-impact exercise every day. The machine will stimulate gestures like walking climbing, running without really causing your knee to feel the pressure.
- With elliptical trainers you can work with your upper body or lower body or both.
- Moreover, unlike treadmills, the best elliptical machines don’t run the risk of injuries.
- While using the trainer, the user can keep his/her heels in contact with the pedals thereby reducing stress on muscles and tendons.
- Classified as “low impact” exercise, you feel like you are working as hard as you really are. And in this list we’ll be discussing the best elliptical machines among the tons of trainers available in the market.
Elliptical trainers were discovered by Precor and first entered the market in the 1990s. The machine was in works in 1988 in the hands of researcher at the Purdue University. Precor introduced the first piece of exercise equipment that was designed in a way that allows the foot to roll right from the heel to the toe replicating running. The key reason there’s no discomfort or numbing of the feet is a rear flywheel that comes with a forward foot pedal. It helps create a smooth, unhindered elliptical movement.
How does an Elliptical machine work?
Although there are ton of models with varying procedures, the piece of equipment are used in a similar way.
- The users will be standing with a straight back. With perfect alignment of hips, knees and ankles, the weight of the body is distributed between the balls of the feet and the heel. Gripping the handrails users can either stride forward or backward. This makes the best elliptical machines good for weight loss.
BEST 2 ELLIPTICAL MACHINES OF OUR LIST
Advantages of using Best Elliptical Machines
Often compared with treadmills, an elliptical trainer produces an intermediate leg motion and exertion of leg muscles and heart. According to studies, the amount of calories burned using the best affordable elliptical machine is equal to that on a treadmill. A 2002 study done by the University of Idaho reveal when you extend your stride on a elliptical machine, more calories are burned without seemingly any increase in exertion. Thomas Altena, a professor of nutritional and exercise physiology at the University of Missouri-Columbia made a comparison between elliptical and treadmills, by measuring things like heart rate, oxygen retention, build-up of lactic acid, and perceived rate of exertion. He found out that the "physiological responses associated with elliptical exercise were nearly identical to treadmill exercise".
Best Elliptical Machines: Perfect Buying Guide
An elliptical machine is an excellent piece of material buy before you go on to buy one you would have to consider a couple of things. Being clear on what you want the equipment to have is the first step towards purchasing a good elliptical trainer.
For a piece of equipment like that of an elliptical machine, stability is our top concern. Generally a high-end and heavier machine tends to be more stable. A good way to find out how stable the machine is, is by trying it out a couple of time. During our testing period, we’ve came across a couple of wobbling machine that prevents confidence from building up in the user. As for the machines that appear in our list for top elliptical machine, they are as stable as it gets.
While working on an elliptical, the machine’s ability to change the incline makes all the difference. When our testers found some elliptical were slow in changing the program. Besides, only a handful of machine had the ability to greatly vary in position for more challenging workouts. We preferred the ones that offered wide variations in the level of incline adjustment.
Length of the Stride & Adjustable Foot Pedals
Like inclines, stride length matters to many depending to every individual’s height. For taller people, longer strides will be convenient and short ones for shorter people. Of course, we got the ellipticals tested by people all heights and choose the once that allow good variants in the adjustment of the strides. And as for5 adjustable foot pedals, it’s necessary so that the user can replicate a natural stride that difference from person to person. A lager pedal will allow ample space for the user’s feet and while a small than average pedal will lead to uncomfortable fit for the feet as well as injury.
Some of the other things we took into consideration while making out list of best elliptical machines are price, easy availability, ease in assembling, source of power supply (could be either battery powered or externally wired), the height of the step-on, transportation wheel, weather it has space for fan, water bottle, speaker with input, tablet or book holder as well as USB port for charging the device and the warranty offered by the manufacturer. With these in mind we managed to choose the best elliptical machine for home. Take a look at the list of Best Elliptical Machines 2017 below.
10 Best Elliptical Machines of 2017
Sole Fitness is among the most well known fitness brand in the US and Canada and is also among the best elliptical trainer brand. Having been involved with fitness exercise equipments for decades, it’s one of North America’s most trusted fitness equipment manufacturers. Besides treadmills, and elliptical machines, Sole Fitness provides a line of bikes and rovers.
The E35 Elliptical Trainer is one of the most expensive elliptical machines in our list of best elliptical machines, there’s a good reason why we’ve put E35 at the top.
The machine is ideal for all those to who are looking forward for challenging cardio. It’s supported by a blue, backlit LDC display that helps tracking your training data. The piece of equipment has stood well against our test.
It sports a water bottle holder, built-in cooling fan, speaker among other things. E35 is highly adjustable and comes with hands-free heart-rate monitor which is extremely convenient to say the least. It allows great variations in stride and inclines adjustment. While the stride length of the machine adjusted from 20 to 22-inches, the15-inch pedals can incline up to 30 degree. It’s a great machine with equally great features to match.
The elliptical machine offer quiet drive system that offers smooth strides forward and reverse. The four rear wheels on heavy-duty rails design ensure stability. A heavy, 29-pound flywheel and high gear ratio gives in a fluid and natural feel to the user. With fully adjustable power incline (from 0 to 30 degrees) you do a challenging cardio, working all your major lower body muscle groups.
- There’s a LCD console with 7.5-inch display with six standard, two custom programs, a front drive system, and two heart rate programs in the equipment.
- It measure 27X58X83-inches, weighs 215 pounds and has 375 pound limit.
- Sole Fitness E35 Elliptical Trainer comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame, two years labor warranty, five years warranty on electrical parts and an intriguing five years Fitness Plan Warranty form Warrantech which also includes free in-home service.
~What We Like~
- Pulse and heart beat monitoring is made more convenient with the use of chest straps.
- Additionally, the maker’s claim, E35’s big foot pedals are designed in collaboration with well-known physical therapist so that they help in preventing stress on knee and ankle. You can even adjust the foot bed according to your comfort.
~What We Didn’t Like~
- Besides the fact that the machine is pretty expensive, the piece of equipment requires you have a big space to place the trainer at your home.
You must have heard of Schwinn. Since its foundation in the year 1895, the company has made a name in creating bicycles and other health and active lifestyle products. In 1965, Schwinn had introduced its very first home workout machines that gave way to a line of fitness equipments like treadmills, various sorts or fitness bikes, elliptical, etc.
One of the sturdiest and expensive elliptical on our list of top elliptical machines, Schwinn 470 quiet, smooth-running and offers ton of features alluring enough for any fitness junkie. Equipment comes with a dual backlit display, pre-programmed workouts, heart-rate monitoring, and an exclusive feature called the Schwinn Connect by which you can download performance data. Moreover, the machine is moderately easy to assemble with the help of the company’s fully illustrated manual as well as the easy-to-use tools made exclusively for the purpose of easy assembly. So if you’re looking for one of the best elliptical machines of 2017, Schwinn 470 Elliptical Machine is the one for you.
- The machine sports two LCD windows that monitors and displays up to 13 different feedbacks.
- There’s an USB charging port for the extraction of data or charging you tablet.
- The equipment comes with up to 4 user settings. To motivate yourself you can use any of the 29 programs.
- As for strides, the Schwinn 470 pedals offers large articulating footplates with cushioning with upto 20-inch Precision Path stride length and 10 degree manual ramp range with as many as 6 positions.
- To keep the workout smooth and quiet, there’s a high inertia perimeter weighted flywheel working inside as some 25 levels of eddy current resistance. It can take up to 300 pound user weight.
What We Like
- The equipment in question offers 10 years warranty on the frame, 1 year electrical and 2 years mechanical warranty with 90 days of labor warranty.
What We Didn’t Like
- The reason why the machine offers such large warranty period is because it’s expensive. This means you’d need to have deep pockets if you intend to get your hands on this one.
Proform have been in the business for 30 years and is among the most recognized fitness brand of today’s time. The company has been consistently ranking as brand number one in terms of the units sold and dollar made. Proform owns hundreds of patent and are among the most trusted fitness equipment makers with a serious commitment to towards producing the best fitness equipment in the business. It is indeed one of the best elliptical machines of our list.
Proform 14.0 CE is one high-tech monster of a machine that is worth the price you pay will be paying for it. One of the most popular elliptical in the market, 14.0 CE is made for intense workout sessions for both your upper and lower body.
There are two soft-touch grips for you to pull back and forth that promotes full-body motion. And 16 reset workouts promise to keep you wanting to come back to exercise day after day. The equipment offers 18-inch strides and a powerful inclines that can be adjusted anywhere between 10 to 25 degrees. 14 levels of resistance are designed for everyone, from beginners to the most advance users.
- There are two soft-touch grips for you to pull back and forth that promotes full-body motion.
- And 16 reset workouts promise to keep you wanting to come back to exercise day after day.
- The equipment offers 18-inch strides and a powerful inclines that can be adjusted anywhere between 10 to 25 degrees.
- 14 levels of resistance are designed for everyone, from beginners to the most advance users.
- There’s a 5-inch backlit display, perfect for viewing speed, time, distance, and measuring calories burnt, heart rate among other things.
- Designed by a certified personal trainer there are 18 built-in workout apps.
- Some of the other incredible features that the elliptical machines sports are dual-grip EKG heart rate monitor, water bottle holder, intermix acoustic 2.0 sound system and smooth transport wheels for ease in moving the piece of equipment from one place to another.
- It’s got a super-durable commercial-gauge solid steel construction with inertia-enhanced flywheel for smooth, silent motion so you can work out in a peaceful environment.
- Proform 14.0 CE Elliptical Machine offers a life-time warranty on frame, and one year warranty on the parts and labor. It weighs 235 pounds and has a weight capacity of 300 pounds. The elliptical machine is incredibly easy to use, easy to assemble, making the machines an ideal choice.
What We Like
- The machine supports something called the iFit Live Technology that delivers smarter workouts and faster results.
- The machine packs a frictionless resistance system with oversize cushioned pedals, CoolAire workout fan, Intermix Acoustic 2.0 Sound System, etc for convenience.
What We Didn’t Like
- It’s too expensive, making the machine unaffordable for several fitness enthusiasts.
Home fitness equipment makers, Nautilus are leaders in fitness solutions. They have got some of the world’s most impressive brand portfolios that include some of the biggest name in the fitness industry like Bowflex, Universal, Octane Fitness, among others. Apart from high-tech elliptical machines, the company has a complete line of innovative health and fitness products.
- E614 is a trendy looking elliptical machine, made using cutting-edge technology.
- The piece of equipment is a perfect choice for anyone who wants a great workout without stressing their joints too much.
- There’s a Dual Track display with two LCD’s installed that help keep track of time, distance, calories, heart-rate etc.
- There are huge amount of pre-set workout programs (twenty-five to be precise), 20 resistance levels, and six incline position, and 22 programs (that includes9 profile, 8 heart rate controlled, 2 user profiles, 2 fitness test and Quickstart).
The machine comes with couple of exclusive advance features like it allows you to transfer workout data by connecting USB with Nautilus Connect website. You can also sync you data with the popular MyFitnessPal application. There are USB charging dock, shelf for book or tablet, cooling fan along with perimeter-weighted flywheel, high-speed, high-inertia drive system for smooth motion, etc. Your heart-rate is monitored with sensors built-into ergonomic handles that helps increase cardiovascular activity. There are two integrated levelers and two center frame supports for a solid workout platform.
What We Like
- The machine comes with a warranty for ten years for the frame, one year for the electronics, and 90 days labour warranty.
- With 20-inch stride length, oversized crossbar tubing for added stability and a ton of other incredible features, Nautilus E614 Elliptical Machine ranks third in our list of best elliptical machines.
What We Didn’t Like
- It weighs 167.3 pounds and can’t handle a maximum user weight of 300 pounds. With that kind of weight, the equipment is difficult to move about.
Exerpeutic is Paradigm Health & Wellness’s brand and they are focused on offering the best of fitness equipments in the market. As you may know, Paradigm Health & Wellness is a leading supplier of health and fitness products, they play a pioneering role in bringing in new and innovative products. There are a couple of other brands under is Paradigm Health & Wellness that you recognize like Exerpeutic, Ironman Fitness, Ironkids, among others.
Exerpeutic 5000 Magnetic Elliptical Machine is a multi-functional piece of machine carved using the latest technology in the field. It offers a ton of features but the one that our testers found unique and intriguing is that Bluetooth mobile app tracking. Using the technology you can practically track you workout results anywhere, anytime. It’s compatible with both Android and iOS devices. Using the mobile tracking feature you can connect an electronic device and watch movies, listen to music or even check mails, all while exercising. The equipment has a compact design that helps reduce the overall length and size of the machine, making it an ideal choice for anyone looking for a small elliptical machine.
- Exerpeutic 5000 sports a double transmission drive system that basically operates with a 2 flywheel and 2 belt design system for increased momentum.
- An 18 inch smooth elliptical stride length provides a comfortable and full range work out, while larger stride pedal design prevents any foot slippage and prevents any strain form building up in the knees or ankles.
- There are 24 levels Magnetic Tension system which is adjustable via the computer console, a 12 Workout Programmable Computer with RPM, Watts, time, distance,
- Heart Rate Control as well as 4 individual settings and 7 different training modes.
- The equipment weighs 84 pounds and has an extended users weight capacity of 270 pounds.
What We Like
- While the dual action handlebars provide a complete upper body workout, the built-in wheels provide easy relocation of the equipment in question.
- One of the best things about this piece of equipment is that it comes at an affordable price, compared to the previous three elliptical machines on our list of best elliptical machines.
What We Didn’t Like
- For the kind of money one need to have to get their hands on the machine, the piece of equipment offers only 1 year limited warranty.
This elliptical machine is manufactured by Body Flex Sports, Inc. one of the most well-known companies in the industry. They are celebrated for their in-house product design and testing, not just in the US but Asia too. Their products come with a guarantee of great usability, value and quality and know known for their fantastic customer service. Established back in 1992, over year, Body Flex Sports, Inc. has made a good name for them by offering decent fitness equipments.
- 2 in 1 Cardio Dual Elliptical trainer is one of the most unique equipments in our list of best elliptical machines.
- This 2-in-in machine serves both as an exercise bike and elliptical machine. This is an entry-level equipment and therefore affordable.
- Though it offers a variety of features, don’t expect high-tech fancy ones. At the price, the machine does seem like a pretty good catch because it offers options for heart-rate monitoring, 12 pre-set workouts among other things. As for warranties, there’s a one year warranty for frame and ninety days for all other parts.
What We Like
- The piece of equipment sports an advance magnetic resistance system that keeps the machine quite while you break sweat.
- To monitor the heart-rate and follow pre-set exercise, there’s a programmable LCD console. The seats can be adjusted vertically and horizontally, in accordance to your comfort.
- Other specifications that adds to the comfort includes, 2 sets of ergonomic handlebars, foam-padded seat cushion and 1 set of bidirectional foot pedal riding platforms.
What We Didn’t Like
- One of the short comings of the machine is its inability to incline. Incline being one of the biggest feature an elliptical trailer has because it helps make the exercise more intense.
- The machine has a 14-inch stroke length and a capacity of 275 pounds. The Cardio Dual Trainer accommodates the smallest strides because of its design (being a hybrid) therefore isn’t suitable for everyone.
- And being a budget-friendly elliptical, you won’t get small amenities like having space for bottle, no fan, and no mp3 or iPod connectors.
Xterra Fitness makes some of the most technologically advanced fitness equipments. Keeping living spaces in mind, they create some of the sleekest and elegant looking machines that are as much effective as they are fun. Engineered with premium features, the ellipticals are stylish, tough and offer a superior level of service.
The FS1.5 is an impressive piece of machine with a handful of shortcomings. In discussing the upsides, some of the first things that the equipments offers are a told of 24 pre-set programs including 2 heart rate programs, 1 body fat program, 4 user-defined programs and a manual program. It offers 16 levels of resistance using revolutionary magnetic resistance technology along with a heavy-duty flywheel for a quiet and effective workout.
- The piece of machine is a quality exercise equipment that look as good as it feels. Its elegant and compact design makes it one of the best elliptical machines for home.
- The compact design carries a heavy duty steel frame sporting soft cushioning handlebar pads. Other specifications include 5X2.5-inch LCD screen, front wheels for easy transportation, oversized pedals, soft cushioned handlebar pads and a Magnetic Resistance System that is fiction-free. The machine weighs 116.6 pounds and can bear a maximum user weigh of 300 pounds.
- XTERRA FS2.5 Elliptical Machine offers ten years warranty on the frame and one year on parts.
What We Like
- In addition to these impressive programs, the Xterra FS2.5 Elliptical Machine offers forward and reverse direction, and even rear spin out levelers for that extra push to accomplish a highly effective and challenging workouts.
What We Didn’t Like
- One of the draws backs of the machine is that the LCD screen has no backlight so need to be careful where you place the machine because you won’t be able to view the screen in low light or in dark.
- At 14-inch FS2.5 Elliptical’s stride is pretty limiting for anyone or say long people who prefer longer stride.
Sunny Health & Fitness have been in the business for over 15 years. They are premium distributer and importer of fitness and health products. The company has been working with both amateur and professional athletes as well as outdoor enthusiasts in creating some of the best fitness products in the industry. The elliptical trainers help bring home outstanding level of professional training.
For the money you’ll be spending, Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Elliptical Machine an exceptional piece of machine. The machine is great way to get started on an effective cardiovascular program form the comforts of your home. For anyone who’s looking for a low-impact cardio workout, this machine is an ideal choice. The piece of equipment features a multi-function workout computer, and an advance magnetic Resistance with micro-tension controller for a quiet and smooth workout experience. For a small machine like Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Elliptical Machine, there are Moving Arms for upper body workout. The compact, light weighed, and easily transportable sports a hand pulse monitoring system too.
Although there is large snit-slit platform for added stability and it prompts dynamically moving arms to engage you upper body. Also unlike the other trainers in our list of best elliptical machines, there’s no pre-set program, so you won’t have those assisting you. The elliptical machine weighs 68 pounds and has a capacity for 220 pound.
What We Like
- It’s fairly inexpensive and can show elapsed time, speed, distance, calories, total distance as well as heart rate.
- Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Elliptical is a small machine, fairly easy to assemble and offers a good low-impact workout.
What We Didn't Like
- Like XTERRA FS2.5 Elliptical Machine too has a short stride of 13-inch, making it difficult for tall people or people preferring larger strides to use the elliptical.
- Overall its one of the top elliptical machines in the market but there’s a catch. The company offers no warranty and without warrant, it’s risky to make a purchase.
Designed to meet the needs of fitness enthusiast of today, Body Max products are made for performance without compromise. The company is known for putting emphasis on quality and value over everything else. To be sure Body Max’s elliptical will keep you moving and all you’d need to do is keep one foot ahead of the other.
- Body Rider Fan Elliptical Trainer is among the cheapest in this list of best inexpensive elliptical machines.
- It’s a small machine that offers unique and innovative design.
- It’s a perfect machine for anyone looking for “zero” impact lower and upper body workout.
- There are a handful pre-set workouts for you to choose your desired workout from. One can adjust resistance level using a friction belt tension control knob that one finds on the elliptical machine. Moreover, there’s a workout video for the sake of better understanding.
The piece of machine sports a patented elliptical notion design with chain driven fan wheel that runs quietly and smoothly. There are dual-action handlebars that allow upper and lowers body workouts so you adventure of working out goes off without a hitch. Body Rider Fan Elliptical Machine has manufacturer’s warranty included and an assembly guide that’ll enable you to put the machine together.
What We Like
- The frame of the equipment is made of steel and weighs only 58 pounds, easy to move around.
- Using the equipment’s multi-function console-level monitor you can keep track of time, distance, speed, as well as calories burned per second. It makes it one of the best elliptical machines 2017 for sure.
What We Didn't Like
- Assembling the equipment took us some two hours because the official manual isn’t up-to-date.
10. Akonza 2-in-1 Elliptical Machine
One of the lesser know fitness and health equipment manufacturer, Akonza ha a range of fitness machines for home. Health being a key part of an individual’s happiness, the company has made it their motto to create some of the finest exercise and health equipments. Besides the quality of the products, the company commitment to the trade and its customers is excellent.
Known of consistently providing reliable and affordable exercise equipments, this time, with Akonza 2-in-1 Elliptical Machine, the company provides a hybrid between an elliptical machine and an exercise bike. The piece of machine in question a total body and cardiovascular workout, with motion handle bars for secured and stable workout. It's among the best elliptical machine under $500.
- There’s a tension knob for adjustments and built-in transport wheels for easy transportation and storage.
- The stable end caps prevent tripping over while the chain-driven fan movement keeps things smooth and quiet. Besides the equipment’s sturdy steel construction too helps in the stability.
- The seat can be adjusted for your comfort. Overall, the fitness equipment is an effective inexpensive machine that offers a lot for anyone wanting to do a low impact workout.
What We Like
- There are resistance control features with dual-directions actions (both forward and backwards). The LCD monitor reveals time, distance, speed, calories, as well as heart-rate.
- Quick and easy to assemble, the Akonza Elliptical Bike sports easily adjustable magnetic tension level that helps make your workout challenging and fun.
What We Don’t Like
- The machine can bear user weighing 250 pounds only.
Check our Other Articles
People today are more health conscious that ever. The list of best elliptical machines 2017 above has been made by keeping in mind the affordability, the quality and the zeal of the makers. With the fitness and health industry saturated with products and equipments, finding a good workout machine is like looking for a needle in the hay stack. With a help of our expert team who built up a group of amateur and professional trainers, we managed to find quite a few needles, that too good ones. Besides these, one most important thing for you to consider is the space in your home. Even if you can afford a high-budget elliptical machine, if you can’t fit it in your home, it’ll be a total waste.
There are variants in terms of cost and features of the elliptical because if the simple reason that, expensive machines have more features stuffed into them. If you can’t afford the one’s ranked top, you can certainly take a look at the ones below. They cost much less and offer lesser features but are perfect for you if you are looking for best elliptical machines for low impact exercises. Thanks for reading.