Best Entry Level Road Bikes: Bicycling has long been a popular choice of transportation. Investing in a good bike will ensure you have a safe and eco-friendly mode of transportation for a long time to come. But while people have lately been taken over by the glitz and glamour of motorbikes, bicycles are steadily making their way back into the limelight. Not only are they good for the environment and good for your health, you need to invest a fraction of the money and hard work on your bike after you have made your purchase. The Best Entry Level Road Bikes, in particular, are a great way to be conscious about the environment while at the same time, saving money. But while most of us know how to ride a bike,
we are often misled into buying the wrong kind of road bikes for ourselves. And since it is something that can even happen to those who have been riding for a while, we can imagine how hard it is for those looking to get started on the great habit. But believe it or not, there are a number of great ways to ensure that you invest in the best entry level road bikes tailored to suit your needs the best.
These methods will help you get the right sizing while making certain that you don't end up with an injury. But first, let's get a few essential things clarified before checking out the list of best entry level road bikes 2017. .
What are Entry Level Road Bikes?
To make matters even more complicated, there are several different kinds of bicycles available on the market. Each one caters to different purposes and different terrains. To put it simply, a road bike is a bicycle meant specifically for use on paved, smooth concrete roads. They differ from mountain bikes on the terrain aspect and from racing bikes in terms of the speed.
- Entry Level Road bikes are typically meant for regular long distance stints, meaning that they are champions on the endurance front.
- Though they can be easily confused by many with racing bikes, road bikes are generally equipped with more gear combinations.
- They are also significantly more lightweight and have smoother tires for diminished resistance.
- The idea is to make for an easy to ride two wheeler that will give you more grasp over the speed to make for a safer street ride.
- The effective speed control is accompanied by tires that lend a more fluid motion across smooth roads. But because there are so many different kinds of bikes, the types tend to overlap at times, so you will often find that you like a racing bicycle to take out on the roads.
- It is definitely alright to do that, but know that there will be more resistance on the tires, for racing bikes need to prioritise balance and grip on high speeds.
BEST ENTRY LEVEL ROAD BIKES OF OUR LIST
Do You Need an Entry Level Road Bike?
This feels like a pretty redundant question at this time. But if you still need to be convinced about why you need to invest in purchasing one of the best entry level road bikes, then we'll start from the beginning. First off, biking is great exercise. In today's date, very few of us can devote the kind of time and money that we need to in order to stay healthy. While eating healthy is important, so is working out the calories and boosting up the heart rate. But those of us who have to work hard to earn a living, go to school, and are bound by the rigorous routines of everyday life can hardly afford the time to invest in gymming and/or running. But we all drive or take the bus to work/ school, don't we? Replacing that with biking every day to get to your scheduled place will ensure that you get a substantial amount of exercise alongside saving a fair bit of money and fuel. Combine that with eating healthy and taking the stairs instead of an elevator, and you have a winning formula to help you get started towards a healthier lifestyle.
- Another important aspect of taking up the habit of bicycling is how neutral it is for the environment. Cars and buses, whether fuel-driven or electric, utilise a number of resources. And as we all know, unwise use of resources have already started showing their worst effects on our world.
- The use of fuels also results in harmful gas emissions, which as we all know, are really damaging for the environment. Bicycling, on the other hand, makes good use of your own physical energy to get you from one place to another. It's kind of like wearing your running shoes and jogging to work, but with greatly minimised chances of injuries and at a much greater speed.
In the above paragraphs, we have talked about why entry level road bikes are a great utility option for those on the move. However, the use of a great road bike or any kind of bike for that matter is not limited to utility only. Once you get used to bicycling, you will discover what a strangely liberating feeling it is to take your bike out for a ride. Soon you are bound to take out some time out from your packed day for a ride around town. Those who truly love biking can vouch for that. So yes, biking is good for your mind, your body, and it's a great mode of guilt-free transportation. It is also a way of life.
BEST ENTRY LEVEL ROAD BIKES FOR GIRLS
For beginners, road bikes are the best possible options, as they are easy to learn on due to being lightweight and relatively low on resistance.
- They are also available in a number of varieties, so you can easily find one suited for your needs.
- This makes learning and practising pretty easy on road bikes.
- This is why we have compiled a list of the best entry level road bikes in our extensive article. But before we move on to the list itself, we need to take a look at some of the things to consider.
Who Should Buy These Best Entry Level Road Bikes?
Anyone who is willing to get into biking should look at investing in the best entry level road bikes for them. In all honesty, we are of the opinion that anyone who does not know how to ride a bicycle or doesn't have much practice should certainly consider getting a bike for herself/ himself. As we have already said before, not only is it a great money-saver, but it is also good for your health.
It is a great step towards leading a better, more overall contributory lifestyle. And for those of you who think that it is too late to learn, you are absolutely wrong. Just ensure that you invest in a good quality entry level road bike (we will address what "quality" entails in this case shortly) and good protective gear from a reputed manufacturer for optimum protections against injuries.
Yes, there is the possibility that you will falter a fair bit before you truly get used to riding a two-wheeler, but do not let that deter you.
Best Entry Level Road Bikes: Perfect Buying Guide
It is important to know a few things in advance before you go out to buy a new bicycle, especially if you are a beginner and you have no prior experience with bikes to speak of. Bicycles come in a lot of different varieties, shapes and sizes, and while many of their features may seem to be adornments to the untrained eye, in reality, each of them has a specific purpose. The ideal kind of entry level road bike for beginners need to be lightweight and easy to balance on. Resistance must be minimum for easier handling, and the height from the seat to the ground should offer a certain amount of leeway for you to be able to place your feet on the ground. So this is where we will begin.
Bike size and fit: Like the best outdoor gear, be it clothes and shoes, the best entry level road bikes must be the perfect size and height for you. There are many among us who have the belief that when you ride your bike, your feet should be a few inches off the ground so that it results in stretching, and therefore, an effect on your height. However, while that may work for some people who have already got the hang of balancing their bikes, that is certainly not the way to go for a beginner. When you are a beginner,
- you need to have your bike correctly fitted to your height to minimise the fear of injuries.
- Being fitted correctly for your bike will also keep you from putting extra pressure on your back. Also, your first bike will probably be with you for a while, so sizing is the most important factor to get right.
- In order to measure your new bike, sit straight on the seat and stretch your legs straight to place them on the ground.
- The correct sized bike for you should let you place your feet on the ground with a slight bend in your knee. This will ensure that you have the correct posture when you begin to ride your bike- not too curved at the back and not too stretched to put stress on your back or your shoulders.
- The sizing should be done in centimetres as that will make the fitting easier. Measure straight from the seat to the ground with a thread or a tape and get it adjusted. It is best to have your bike measured at the shop before buying.
Bike Type: Sometimes when you go to buy a road bike, you may find it easy to get confused as you are presented with a number of options that look different from what you would expect from a road bike. This can happen because many sources actually consider racing bikes to belong to a category of road bikes. But there is nothing to worry about. Though we suggest going for an entry level road bike as a beginner, those used to biking can easily go for racing bikes. Keep in mind, however, that racing bikes will position you differently from a road bike and that may not be very comfortable for riding over long stretches.
- They also have broader tires and a heavier build which may not be suitable for regular travelling purposes.
- Best Entry Level Road bikes, on the other hand, are much lighter and have the rider sit straight, so that there is minimum pressure on your back or on your legs when you are travelling for long.
- The tires are also much narrower, which provides a smoother, faster, and less strenuous ride.
BEST ENTRY LEVEL ROAD BIKES WITH LIFETIME WARRANTY
Maintenance: Road bikes are usually hardy vehicles that should last you a few good years before surrendering. People who really get the hang of bicycling as a fun activity also tend to get attached to their bikes. So before you go on to buy a new entry level road bike, do some research about maintenance.
- Most bikes do not need to be looked after much, but some of the parts will require regular attention (such as the tires).
- Keeping them well-looked after by taking them to a serviceman every week, or more often depending on your usage, should extend the life of your bike way further than you expected.
Availability of Parts: Like we have already addressed in the last point, your road bike will require a little bit of looking after to be able to offer you a safe way to travel on a regular basis. But like most things that are built to last, some of the component parts might falter before others. So before you decide on a particular company or brand to buy your bike from, make sure that you have a dedicated service location for spare parts nearby.
- It is most certainly a pain to have your parts sourced over long distances. But because you would be taking your bike out a lot, it would do you good to keep track of good servicemen along the routes that you are most likely to take.
Protective Gear: If you follow the size and fitting guide above, you would probably find it easier to learn on your new bike with the least amount of strain. However, as a beginner, there will always be the chance of faltering, and that's why we think prevention is better than cure. While people are excited to get their first bike, they often forget about the need for protective gear.
- We suggest your gear at the same time as buying your bike. Most bike stores keep a good collection of lightweight and durable protective pads but make sure you get the right size for optimum protection.
- Your gear should include a helmet, elbow pads, and kneepads. Not only will they keep you from being severely injured if you fall, but also give you a confidence boost.
Price: While it is important to have an idea about the kind of money you're willing to spend on an entry level road bike, you need to consider a bunch of other things as well, like posture, comfort, and quality. So when you go out to buy your first bike, you should try to find the right balance between price and feasibility.
- If you do not plan to be using your bike a whole lot, then it's probably not worth spending a whole lot of money on it. Similarly, you may also want to get a cheaper unit to get used to and then upgrade to a better bike for daily use. But if you want a bike that will stick around for a while, it's better to invest a little bit more.
In the below section we will be providing the most trusted list of ten best entry level road bikes 2017 which are currently available to buy from Amazon. So feel free to go through our Entry Level Road Bike Reviews first before making your final decision.
Entry Level Road Bikes of 2017 (Most Trusted List)
The Vilano Shadow Road Bike is a great unit to get started on a daily bicycling routine, and at the same time, it is well liked by a lot of riders who use a bike to keep in shape regularly. Users love this bike for its reliability and great, stable handling. The bike is equipped with 700 by 25c wheels which are also quite heavy. This makes it cruising down bumpy roads much smoother than most other units. The main highlights of the Vilano Shadow Road Bike are- its lightweight aluminium frame along with the Shimano STI Integrated Shifters.
- Its build offers a really nicely controllable unit that does not feel strenuous at any given point of time. The brakes are easy and precise in manipulation, giving you that extra bit of confidence when you're riding down heavily congested roads.
- The light build and great brakes make the Vilano Shadow a bike that works great for beginners.
- It comes in different sizes to fit all (Small - 50cm, Medium 54cm, Large 58 cm) and is not much of a pain to set up. Just take it to your local bike shop and have them adjust it to your requirements.
- It is priced well, so if you're looking for a great entry level road bike that requires minimum fuss and a lot of control, then you can go for the Vilano with your eyes closed. It's surely one of the best entry level road bikes of 2017.
- Lightweight aluminium builds which is sturdy. Stable and easily controllable brakes.
- Very Responsive. Easy to set up. Good for both beginners and those who want to get fit
- The seat is only partially adjustable, which could be a big inconvenience.
For the price, the Vilano Shadow is one of the best entry level road bikes you can consider buying as a beginner. Fast assembly and sturdy build along with the price bring it to the top of our list.
This bike is usually preferred by those who like to gain speeds, but its versatility makes it a great option for beginners as well. The fact that it comes from the house of Schwinn alone makes it one of the best bets on the market, and the price you can get it for makes it a winner.
- It comes with 21 gear speeds and packs in some really high-quality Shimano parts to ensure durability and comfort. While it is built for those looking to scale steep terrains, its lightweight 6061 aluminium build makes it really comfortable to take it out on the roads for a casual spin.
- You can easily travel long distances with utmost ease while relying on its endurance. Besides being equipped with a gear system that shifts and adjusts like a dream, it also comes with high quality, responsive brakes.
- When we speak of its versatility, we mean to say that it can be a common choice among fitness enthusiasts, athletes, racing enthusiasts, casual riders and daily commuters. To say that it is the best entry level road bike that you can find for the price is an appropriate description of the Schwinn Volare.
- Comes equipped with Shimano 21 speed EZ Fire shifters with Shimano rear derailleur that allow for smooth shifts.
- Lightweight aluminium build that is also sturdy
- Needs regular maintenance.
- Assembly needs some work
All in all, the Schwinn Volare 1200 Bike is a great option for a wide spectrum of people for its adaptability. It is lightweight, sturdy, and will last you a long time if you take good care of it. The maintenance and the slightly heavier weight brings to the second spot on our list of the best entry-level road bikes.
Tommaso has been in the bike manufacturing business for a long time now, and their Imola Compact Aluminium Road Bike is a great option for those who are new to riding or have not ridden for long. It has a lot to offer for its price with its high quality and durable parts. It also holds its shape pretty well even after long uses, which goes to show that its lightweight build has no negative impact on the endurance front.
- It has many different sizes to choose from and assembling this unit is as easy as it gets.
- As a bike, it is great for the athletes and speedsters among us along with those who are recently getting into the habit of biking regularly.
- The frame geometry is really commendable, and the compact build makes it ideal for those with smaller frames (people with larger builds should consider getting a bigger size).
- The geometry will also allow users to build it as they like with mew components, so it is also nicely upgradable.
- Most users recommend this bike for its handling and the stable ride it offers. It looks pretty impressive too.
- However, it is a road bike, so sticking to smooth concrete surfaces on this unit is a good idea to ensure maximum life on the tires.
- Looks great. Good handling.
- Good frame geometry.
- Yields a fast ride while being quiet
- Some users reported that the chain tends to come off.
If you can assemble the bike well and upgrade it with a few good components, the Tommaso Imola Compact Aluminium Road Bike is a great buy for its geometry. It has the chops for users to build a great bike on top of it, and its light build makes it rank among the best entry level road bikes for its price.
Our second product from Vilano on the list of the best entry level road bikes is another good option for beginners. Vilano bikes are renowned for their use of good quality materials and easy to assemble bikes that come at really competitive prices. The Vilano FORZA 4.0 has five different sizes to choose from, so whatever be your frame, you don't have to worry about finding the right fit for you.
- This bike is among the best utility units that you can find, making it the road bike of choice among a large variety of users.
- The frame is lightweight owing to its 6061 aluminium build and it comes with integrated Shimano STI Brake Lever shifters for the best kind of handling.
- Out of the box, the Vilano FORZA 4.0 comes assembled to a large extent, so you don't have to spend a whole lot of money in trying to assemble it.
- It also ensures that the bike's parts do not come off after a few good uses or loosen up.
- The Vilano FORZA 4.0 comes with 24-speed settings and shifting is quite smooth. In addition to that, the bike's 700c tires make for a smooth yet fast riding experience for those looking to hit the races.
- Lightweight at a little more than 32 pounds.
- 24 speeds.
- Quality parts from Shimano. Easy to assemble
- Sizing information is not always accurate, so it's better to try it out for yourself before buying
The Vilano FORZA 4.0 is a trusty blend of speed, durability, functionality and ease. All these make it one of the best entry level road bikes under $400 that you can get your hands on
The Schwinn Phocus 1600 is one of the best entry level road bikes for women. This unit also comes in a lot of different sizes and because it has been made specifically for women, those under 5'3" can easily find a perfect size match for themselves from this line.
- The Schwinn Phocus 1600 is a great mix of agility, strength, and functionality, which makes it a great option for those getting into biking after a while or those who prefer to commute regularly using a road bike.
- The 700C tires yield a smooth and stable ride, but you need to ensure that you keep them in optimum health. The frame is lightweight owing to its aluminium build and it has a carbon fibre fork that is pretty responsive.
- The Shimano integrated Brake Lever Shifters on the Schwinn Phocus 1600 Women's bike make for really smooth shifting and braking.
- This bike, however, is more suited for casual users and starters rather than more athletically built women.
- Lightweight aluminium build,
- weighing in at just 24 pounds.
- Stable and responsive.
- Shimano 14 speed drivetrain. Assembly is easy.
- Great for paved paths
- Needs a fair bit of maintenance
If you are a woman who is getting into biking after a long time or are a total beginner, investing in the Schwinn Phocus 1600 will not have you regretting your decision.
GMC Denali Road Bikes come in a variety of sizes, colour options to afford convenience to a number of users of different builds and preferences. This is also one of the primary reasons why this bike is a common equipment of choice among men and women alike. But what really makes the 21 Speed GMC Denali stand out is the great, sturdy frame which makes it highly durable; so if you wish to go for this one, be assured that you can get the most out of your penny's worth. While it is not marketed towards hardcore athletes or professional bikers,
- its sturdiness has led many users to take it along for cross country rides without facing problems.
- This is mainly because the GMC Denali features some premium parts from Shimano and its 700c tires are built to last across a range of terrains.
- However, since it affords easy handling and smooth braking/ shifting and is really lightweight, it makes for a wonderful choice for beginners. This makes it rank among the best entry level road bikes while still being a favourite among biking enthusiasts of varied experience.
- Sturdy, yet lightweight build.
- Built to last and quite versatile.
- Comes with Shimano parts.
- Safe and reliable at a great price
- Many have complained about the bike's stability.
- Assembling may prove to be difficult
The GMC Denali Road Bike is one of the best entry level road bikes that can even double as a great option for daily commuters. And at the price that it comes for, it is worth every penny you spend on it. It is also easily upgradeable if you want to squeeze more functionality out of it.
The Giordano Libero Men's 1.6 Road Bike is a great option for beginners who are looking to buy a good unit at a good price. While it may not be as snazzy as you would want it to be, it is a great way to get into the hobby and comes in three sizes. It does have some good parts to boast of, but the solid thing about the Giordano Libero Men's 1.6 Road Bike is the ease of assembly that it affords.
- When you take it out for a spin, you'll notice that it shifts and brakes pretty easily.
- The lightweight build of this bike is due to its 6061 aluminium frame which makes it durable yet easy to control for a beginner.
- The Giordano Libero Men's 1.6 Road Bike is pretty good for long rides on city roads, and its aluminium constructed 700c wheels are stable without being resistant.
- All in all, we think the simplicity of the Giordano is a great way to get yourself acquainted with the hobby of biking, but it is equally efficient in scaling long distances.
- Good, stable functionality while being easy on the pocket.
- Sturdy, lightweight build
- The seat can be uncomfortable, so it may require some thorough adjustments. Brakes and Shifts are not as smooth as more expensive units.
All in all, the Giordano Libero Men's 1.6 Road Bike is a pretty good unit to get you started on a great hobby. And thanks to its twin mounted water bottle holders, you don't have to worry about getting thirsty in the middle of your commute.
Another offering from Giordano that brings it into our compilation of the best entry level road bikes, the Libero Acciao blends affordability with some great specs. Most of its features are comparable to the unit mentioned above, but the reason we like it so much is because of its strong and sturdy wheels.
- The frame material is excellent, and you really have to do very little to put it together.
- If there is someone around with a little experience with bikes, you may be spared the expense of taking it to your local bike shop.
- It packs in some cool features, including a 14-speed Shimano Tourney STI drivetrain and durable steel frame.
- Similarly priced bikes are often much heavier, much the 26 pounds (give or take) that it comes at is incredible. While it may not be a great choice for those looking for a top notch bike, for its price the Giordano Libero Acciao Road Bike is truly incredible.
- Awesome bike at a great price.
- Very little assembly is required.
- Steel body is strong and lightweight at the same time.
- A great set of wheels.
- As with the earlier Giordano, the seat may need a bit of adjusting
If you're looking for one of the best entry level road bikes to begin on and don't want to invest a lot, this bike is a great choice.
We felt like this was a good time to list some good bikes that are considered as winners all around, and there is no better place to start than with the Kestrel Talon Road Carbon Fiber Bike. To start off, while this one is most certainly a road bike, it is also one of the most favoured units preferred by racers. While the price is north of $1000, the fact that it sports a full carbon body along with a compact crank and the whole unit weighs a measly 17 pounds are in themselves reason enough to buy this bike.
- If you are one who has been on a break for a while but wants to get back into hardcore biking that will take you across terrains and have the budget, then we suggest you give this one a try.
- The brakes and shifters on the 2015 Kestrel Talon Road Carbon Fiber Bike handle like a dream, and the ride are one of the most stable that you will encounter with a bike of its price.
- There are lots of satisfied users who say that this bike comes at almost half the price compared to similarly constructed models, and that is entirely true. Its aerodynamic build makes it super fast, and yet it is also great for beginners owing to its reliability.
- Beautifully designed carbon fibre body.
- Aerodynamic build.
- Packs in some great components
- Nothing really, unless you consider the price. But that too is questionable as it offers some of the best features possible at the price that it comes for
If you want a great piece of equipment that will take you from the roads to the races, this is where your search ends. Add to that the fact that it is also versatile enough to be a great option for beginners, and you have a winner on your hands. But if you want to check out another option before purchasing the best entry level road bikes of 2017, look below.
A great alternative to the Kestrel, this aluminium and carbon fibre bike offers an amazing blend of speed and reliability. The Diamondback 2016 Haanjo Trail Complete Alternative Road Bike is built for the trails, as its name suggests.
- You can take it across really long distances and on a variety of terrains, thanks to its very forgiving wheels. Additionally, you can use it with equal ease on both smooth, rough, and even wet surfaces.
- The brakes are amazingly swift and responsive, which lets you control the bike even while travelling at top speeds.
- The shifters operate real smooth too. The only noticeable problem with the Diamondback 2016 Haanjo Trail Complete Alternative Road Bike is the fact that it needs to be put almost completely together, but getting it done at a good shop will do you a great deal of favour.
We think it is a complete bike built for the roads and for trails, and the ride is as smooth as it gets for the price
- Very responsive brakes and shifters. Sturdy,
- lightweight build thanks to its aluminium and carbon fiber body.
- Protective wheels that don't let you feel the bite of the roads
- Assembly needs work
If you really want to put in some work to get into shape or if you want to build a great habit with style, then the Diamondback 2016 Haanjo Trail Complete Alternative Road Bike is a great option to consider. Like the Kestrel, it also boasts of some great parts that justify the price well.
This concludes our list of the ten best entry level road bikes. If you have gone through the entire article, you will notice that we have thrown in a good mix in there to cater to people with all kinds of budgets, preferences, and purpose. But regardless of that, all of these bikes will serve the purpose of helping you get into a great lifestyle habit that will stay with you for the rest of your life. If you think that we missed out on some of your favourites entry level road bikes, let us know in the comments below.
Don't Miss These Great Articles