Best Mountain Bikes: Be it upward, downward or plain ride, a good mountain bike should be able to allow you to enjoy a wide range of outdoor environments. Depending on where you live and how you ride, where you want to ride, you should select the best options for yourself. But the catch here is, how do you choose the right mountain bike for yourself? For several folks, picking out the best mountain bikes seems to be the most complicated business. It is the sheer variety of bikes, not to mentions the different makers, a confusing array of terminology, knowing which are so important, as they help you understand the kind of bike you require.
For you, we have designed the most comprehensive and detailed list of the best mountain bikes. Over the past month, we have evaluated dozens of mountain bikes and came up with this article regrading mountain bike reviews. But before we get into the heart of things, we are going to highlight some of the key things that you’d need to keep in mind while choosing top mountain bikes 2017.
BEST MOUNTAIN BIKEs FOR LADIES
Best Mountain Bikes: Buying Guide
For folks who are starting out as bikers, the budget might be a crucial factor. There are huge arrays of different kinds of bike, and all are designed to perform certain tasks. There are some basic features that are more or less available on all mountain bikes. It’ll be advisable not to be dismissive of expensive mountain bikes since they do provide a good return of interest. Investing good money will ensure less weight and more strength. Before starting with the list of top mountain bikes, we are going to give you a quick run on the different variety of best mountain bikes that’ll give you an idea of the ideal mountain bike for you.
Best Mountain Bikes: Different Types
Counted among the most popular mountain bikes, trail bikes can manoeuvre almost all terrains with great efficiency. Its relaxed angles allow great steep descending capabilities. The bikes are designed to work efficiently in the most difficult of terrains.
- The speed can be controlled using shorter stems and wider handlebars, while the tires are usually ideal for.
- Wide range gears and double chain rings are popular for those who are interested in climbing big hills.
- Hardcore hard tails also known as trail hard tails cover 130-150 mm travel and while some hard tails use high-quality steel frames, they are mostly made of aluminum, although some top-end bikes might use carbon fiber.
- Anyone who wants a bike that can “do it all” should go for Trail bike
Also known as XC, these bikes are largely useful to cover the most of ground quickly weather you are racing or simply riding out towards the mountain. These days full suspension design is most popular although hard tails are traditional favourite. This type of bikes are considered by many as the best mountain bikes of our times.
- For most bikers carbon is a default choice but these bikes can use other materials like alloy frames and titanium.
- Combined with fast-rolling tyres for maximum speed, low-volume, light trending capability, cross-country bike have larger diameter 29in wheels.
- The only catch of this bike is that it’s harder to control when descending owing to its shorter-travel suspension and skinny tyres.
Often called “all mountain bikes”, endure are ideal for all sorts of terrain. These bikes are designed specifically to perform descent in steep mountains very well. With this bike, the descend are very well timed and you’ll have to pedal your way down. But the bike is still very light and efficient enough to pedal back to the top of the mountain.
- Enduro games are better than simple trail bikes and features full suspension almost exclusively.
- The bike is paired with tough wheels and reinforced tyres. The suspension units tend to be heavier duty that comes along with a range of damping adjustments that tunes their downhill performance.
- Some endure bikes come with remotes that allows the biker to change the bike’s geometry while using the downhill or uphill mode. Most of these bikes consist of devices to prevent the chain from falling off.
- It’s paired to a wide range of gears at the back and one chain ring.
As the name suggests, these mountain bikes are idea for downhill journey, which by no means suggests that you’d have to switch to a different bike for climbing uphill. With downhill bikes one can go down extremely steep tracks very quickly by focusing on its coil sprung suspension instead its peddling ability.
- The suspension has been optimized for traction and support.
- These bikes feature 'double-crown' or ‘triple-clamp’ fork that have legs extending above the head tube and are braced together.
- Made of aluminum, these bikes hold together in the most difficult of terrains.
These bikes are only popular with a segment of people but are largely avoided by regular mountain bikers. The Fat Bikes feature oversized tyres that move with very low pressure for beaten track roads. The bike is for someone who fancies something different. These aren’t the most flexible & best mountain bikes to ride on.
Dirt Jump Bikes are for people who like to jump high. These feature tough frames that make landing easy much as pulling off tricks while being suspended in air. They often have only one gear and short-travel forks.
Singlespeeds are cheap and sports only one gear, although people often customize them making the bike expensive. Like Fat bikes, Singlespeeds are pretty rigid.
Mountain Bikes: What Size Do You Need
Now you must have an idea of the amount you can spare. So you are ought to get an idea of the kind of bike you’ll require. The vital step that you’d need to follow now is to understand the right frame for you. This plays a big role in the comfort of the ride. Note that the size of the best mountain bikes differ from brands to brands.
Riding a bicycle that is not correctly sized to the rider may result in the rider’s feet not touching the ground properly reach the handlebar for steering or braking, and loss of control when pedaling. Al these could result in fatal accident and not-to-mention the loss of money.
- So the best way for you to get your perfect fit to go for a test right and get the feel of the bike in the kind of trial you plan to follow. If it doesn’t fit your bill, return it and try something else. Or whatever bicycle you plan to buy should come with a size manual online. You can simply through them and decide what’s best for you.
And now as to how we tested the bikes, we basically assembled a unit of experience bike riders as testers and engaged with more experienced bikers to chalk out a process for comparing these bikes. It took us a couple of weeks to do the tests and by the time it ended we were with some of the best mountain bikes 2017 presently available.
10 Best Mountain Bikes (Most Trusted List)
Overdrive Sport 29er might just be the bike you are looking for as it is reputed of taking the biking experience to a whole new level. Made of 6061-T6 aluminum alloy, a trusted frame material, the bike is uniquely strong. But don’t be fooled by its lightweight construction, its custom formed with butted tubes and is exceptionally strong. And owing to the forged rear dropouts with a replaceable derailleur hanger, users don’t have to get too worried about breaking anything.
The bike’s machine head tube lets you steer with great precision that makes it ideal for just about anyone and everyone, weather you are using it primarily as a mountain bike or commuting through the town or enjoying a fun ride around your neighborhood
- One of the greatest perk of Overdrive is that the bike comes with an affordable price tag.
- Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er come with SR Suntour suspension fork, Shimano 3x8 drivetrain,
- Tektro disc brakes and 29-inch wheels for more traction and speed. These large diameter wheels roll over bigger holes and plenty of traction for climbs.
- The brakes are dialed in and the derailleurs are adjusted well enough so that you just have to pump up the tires and go.
- Hand built and often ranking among the best mountain bikes list, Diamondback’s bike follows a process called “at-home bike assembly” that is basically a tedious work which is an often-ignored process in bike manufacturing.
- Made of aluminium alloy frame and shimano components.
- It comes with an affordable price tag which is great news for entry-level bikers
- Our testers believe the seat can feel uncomfortable for long rides. But that’s not something that can’t be taken care of
Made for smooth riding and easy transport, the bike is ensuring optimal comfort and performance especially when you are riding rough tracks. The bike features lightweight Magnesium Alloy Wheels that makes sure you are in control even through bad roads while keeping the bumps and jostles to a minimum. There are Shimano 21-speed Derailleurs and Shifters that promises reliable shifting. The front and rear mechanical disc brakes system offers safe stopping system preventing accidents. Now as for the frame, it’s made of extremely durable Heat Treated Aluminum 6061 Mountain Frame.
When it comes to choosing the top mountain bikes, assembling plays an important role. You need to able to do quick assembly anywhere, anytime. With Merax Finiss Mountain Bike, you can assemble the front wheel with quick-release pin, and absolutely no tools are needed. With the bicycle comes eighty five percent assembled. You will need to install the pedals, front wheel, handlebar and air up the tires.
- As per the makers, the pedal threads are different from the left side to the right side.
- These signs are marked on the spindle of each pedal, just make sure these are assembled on the right side. Remember, when you ride on the bike, left pedal on your left hand, right pedal on your right hand.
- The right side pedal has a right-hand thread that both removes counterclockwise and installs clockwise.
- The left side pedal has a left-hand thread that too removes clockwise, installs counterclockwise. You’ll need to thread both pedals into the crank arms as far as you can by hand, then go ahead and tighten them with the wrench. If the pedals are not fully tightened, it may get loose and damage the threads.
- This is just about the best-looking bicycle you’ll find in our list of best mountain bikes.
- It sports lightweight aluminum frame, a proper sealed suspension with preload adjustment and a lockout for climbing hills.
- A lot of adjustments needed to be done after which the bike worked flawlessly. So might have to spend a little more that what you are spending. But at the end it’ll look like it costs a grand.
The makers tell you to “leave it all behind and throw yourself into the hills.” And “there’s nothing you can’t do on a Mongoose”. The bike comes with aluminum suspension frame for optimal comfort. Made for excellent performance especially in hard trails, the bike features an Element suspension folk that keep the rider in control of his/her movements in bumpy roads. It comes with 21-speed Shimano rear derailleur, with SRAM twist shifters that changes gears seamlessly. This Mongoose bike is fitted with alloy front, rear disc brakes and alloy wheels with quick release front. The full-suspension bike has pivots that allow the rear wheel to move independently from the frame.
- Assembling is easy enough if you properly follow the manual. Adjusting the seat height is extremely important as it could affect the rider’s ability to reach the handlebar and pedals.
- When things go wrong, it results in an unexpected movement, loss of control, and serious injury or death. This Mongoose mountain bikes are among the most sought after bikes there is.
- Aluminum frame makes it light and strong at the same time.
- The bike features element suspension fork and Shimano rear derailleur.
- The kickstand is pretty short, and the shock could be better.
The mountain bike offers the finest mountain bikes that can be humanely manufactured. The makers too are the oldest and the most trusted bike manufactures in the US. The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men's Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike is the bike that’ll, as the company puts it, make “you go out there riding on single tracks and some occasional down-hills.”
- The bike is light weight with aluminum dual suspension frame.
- It can easily absorb bumps and other hindrance that you are likely to encounter on the trail. In the same way the front fork absorbs all bumps up front that saves your arms and shoulders from injury and pain.
- There’s a Shimano Altus rear derailleur and some 24 speeds with Shimano EZ-Fire shifters.
- The bike has been engineered just about right and the speed will help you climb the steepest hills and the toughest ravines.
- Stopping in dusty and dirty trails is made easy using the Promax front disc brake and rear alloy linear pull brake.
- The double walled alloy rims are light and so are the three piece cranks but that doesn’t mean they are not strong.
- Shimano Altus rear derailleur and some 24 speeds with Shimano EZ-Fire shifters allow smooth shifting.
- The .front disc brake offers stopping power where you need it the most.
- Although a fantastic buy the wheel could be of better quality. The rubber doesn’t look genuine and could wear out fast.
This woman’s mountain bike offers exceptional features at an incredibly affordable price. Roadmaster has been a trusted American value in recreational bike riding for decades. Roadmaster Granite Peak Women's Bike is the most affordable in our list of top mountain bikes. It’s a solid ride that will give you confidence to get out there and try something new. Owning this bike means you can finally live your hobby without shelling out too much money. Being cost-effective, doesn’t mean you are being handed out something out of the trash. This bike wouldn’t have made it into our list of best mountain bikes if it wasn’t as great as it is.
- The bikes steel mountain frame geometry offers easy riding.
- The 3 piece mountain crank offers wide gear range while the linear pull brakes provide great stopping power.
- Alloy rims provide control and durability and the SRAM drive twist shifters change gears smoothly.
- Besides these, the suspension fork smoothes bumps and increases control.
- The bike is very budget-friendly.
- It comes with smooth suspension fork and excellent tire tread
- The seat isn’t ideal for long journeys. But that’s just about the only catch we could find in this bike.
It’s one of the most expensive bikes in our list of best mountain bikes, and our testers believe that you can get your money’s worth with this bike. This bike sports a carbon fiber frame. Had it been made of aluminum or steel frame, the bike would’ve been less expensive. But the high cost makes up for superior durability and lightweight construction.
- The frame is constructed of Toray T800 Carbon Fiber and the bike sports SHIMANO M610 DEORE System for ast-responding hydraulic disc brakes and speed control system, that makes it all the more desirable to bikers.
- From the part of the Bottom Bracket, T800 and T100 carbon fiber overlap to increase the strength and rigidity of the bikes.
- It’s rear triangle part was made with Mitsubishi high carbon fiber, whose tensile strength is 450kgf/mm2, 4410MPa, 395GPa, the tensile modulus is 40ton/mm2, the elongation is 1.1, and the density is 1.82g/cm3.The bike holds up well in the most demanding of trails.
- Excellent construct of the bike ensure smooth It’s one of the most expensive bikes in our list of best mountain bikes, and our testers believe that you can get your money’s worth with this bike.
- This bike sports a carbon fiber frame. Had it been made of aluminum or steel frame, the bike would’ve been less expensive. But the high cost makes up for superior durability and lightweight construction ride always.
Some of the other features of BEIOU Carbon Fiber 650B Mountain Bike that ensure the bike in our list of top mountain bikes include hidden disc brake, fork suspension, hardtail MTB, comfortable handlebar and seat post, 27.5" RT wheel set Carbon Fiber Hubs. Designed for cycling enthusiasts and professional entry-level riders, the bike offers great safety and picks up speed quickly. Extremely light, the bikes is definitely one of the best mountain bikes available in the market right now.
- Extremely light weighted, makes is it an ideal mountain bike.
- Carbon fibre frame offers superior durability.
- Too pricy for someone who is just starting out.
- The seat is too hard and you might want to replace with something more comfortable.
Alton’s Mammoth 2.0 is the upgrade from our original 7-Speed simple Mammoth fat tire bike. One of the highlights of the bike is its 27-speed monster fat tires. Its 4” wide tires along with its deep thick knobs will support your rides to rip through dirt, snow, sand, and all sorts of rough terrain and any weather condition.
- The bike sports an improved alloy frame that has managed to impress our testers enough. It has managed to grab good ratings in our exclusive mountain bike reviews.
- The Shimano drive train is also upgraded from our previous Mammoth specs to a Shimano FD-Deore and Shimano RD-Alivio with Shimano Alivio shifters. These insure smooth performance and shifting.
- Alton Mammoth 2.0 Fat-Tire Bike is on a whole new level compared to its predecessors.
- This monstrous ride offers perfect smooth controlled stop owing to its disc brakes. One of the best looking bike in our list of top mountain bikes, it sports a nice greenish/blue pearl colour.
- As the makers like to put it, the bike is “ideal for those who are Fat Tire fanatics and have a passionate respect for the sport.
- Alloy frame and its wide tyres are perfect for traction. It deserves to be added in this "Perfect 10" list of best mountain bikes of 2017.
- Disc brakes help you come to a controlled stop when necessary
- The frame of the bike is small therefore not very convenient for large riders. The frame is a bit heavier than most of the mountain bikes on our list.
The bike features a full-suspension, strong aluminum frame, and shifts smoothly. The bike uses a floating beam suspension design that is mated to a suspension fork. The KZ2600 sports 21 Speed Shimano Shifters and rear derailleur. It’s strong aluminum wheel come with V-shape rim profile and high-flange alloy hubs that gives for an incredible riding experience. Stopping the bike is made easy thanks to disk brakes on the front and rear. This mountain bike is decent looking, rugged and built for the long haul, as Thruster outs it.
- The frame is 6061 aluminum and is perfect for anyone just starting out or the experienced rider looking to build a nice bike without getting raped at the bike shop.
- Our testers were full of praises for the colour scheme as they received a number of praises from strangers who thought the bike looked really nice.
- The bike comes with a hard brake and disk brake. Disk brake helps to slow and then stop the bike while the hard brake offers to stop right away.
- Both sturdy and durable, the KZ2600 come with standard pedals, two set of gears giving you options on how you want to ride.
- One of the features our testers thought was pretty helpful was the caution light for anyone who wants to ride at night, so that you don’t get hit by a car. Although getting the breaks balanced appropriately was a challenge, but the front break was a breeze.
- Comes with powerful disc breaks that puts safety a notch higher than most other bikes on our list of best mountain bikes
- The manual that comes with the bike is pretty out dated and doesn’t cover some of the components. The lack of information would lead you to get the bike assembled by a professional for which you’ll have to shell out more money than you already have.
This mountain bike is an ideal choice for anyone who is currently getting into the sport. The aluminum frame is light weight yet strong and durable. Aside from the frame, the bike sports disc brakes in the front and rear which promises excellent stopping capabilities. Moreover there are adjustable suspension both in the front and rear that protects your arms, neck and back from getting hurt. The bike is an ideal choice for solid affordable starter mountain bikers.
- This entry level 24 speed dual suspension bike is one of best mountain bikes in the market right now.
- It features aluminum frame, which is lighter than most bikes sporting material frame. Besides the frame that’s made of Single Pivot technology,
- FSX 1.0 features adjustable rear coil over cartridge shock, Shimano drivetrain and an adjustable front shock.
- Our testers were pretty impressed break and the suspension that took great punishment even after long demanding rides. The bike’s excellent tires keep a firm and secure grip on the ground at all times, even while you are climbing a steep hill or riding over the rock.
- Assembly of the bike is required, and Gravity can ship fully assembled bikes for a little extra cost.
- For a high-quality bike like FSX 1.0, it pretty affordable for entry-level riders.
- The forks could be of better quality because they seem cheap and there’s no rebound adjustment
- There was little instruction on the manual, so our teasers had to do the assembly on their own, ride for a little bit and tighten and re-tighten things, as well as readjust gears
Northwoods features a full suspension aluminum frame with 50 mm steel crown fork. Other highlights include specific mountain bike handlebars for fast shifting. 24” high profile Alloy rims enhances the bikers comfort level. There’s a reason why Northwoods Aluminum Full Suspension Mountain Bike made to our list of best mountain bikes. It’s a pretty light bike and performs as well as some of the most expensive mountain bikes we’ve seen. Another feature is the 21 Speed Twist Shifters and Shimano Rear Derailleur, which makes the bike all the more great pick for entry-level riders.
- The bike handles out week-long series of tests very well, proving its durability.
- Some of the features that make the bike our pick in this list of best mountain bikes are, 21 speed twist shifters, crank steel triple and Shimano Rear Derailleur.
- The disc brakes enable quick stops whenever wherever necessary. Besides these, the bike’s handlebars, grips, saddles etc are specially designed for comfortable riding experience, so that your bike gets beaten on rough trails and not your body.
- Some of the positive features that lead the bike into our list of best mountain bikes is its full suspension and enhanced absorption power.
- It comes equipped with disc brakes for better power and stopping power. Overall our experience with Northwoods Aluminum Full Suspension Mountain Bike has been great.
- The tires are perfect and provide good grip on the dirt as well as on paved roads. It’s a bike you will feel comfortable taking on the road or even to rugged, beaten-down path.
- 24” high profile Alloy rims are excellent for enhancing your comfort level.
- 21 Speed Twist Shifters and Shimano Rear Derailleur are great for decent trails and climbs and excellent for entry-level riders.
- It’s ideal for more demanding trails and high climbs
Expert's Last Words...
Most of the bikes in our article of best mountain bikes 2017 are affordable because that was one of the focus while creating the list. Aside from the cost, one of the top consideration we had put on while making the list of top mountain bikes, was the riding style, the type of terrain a mountains biker would ride in, among other things.
Out of our list of top mountain bikes, if there was one we’d recommend, that would be Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er Mountain Bike. It’s an entry-level mountain bike, although in reality, it’s anything but. Its light, comfortable, versatile, trail-ready, basically a do-all be-all bike that you can rely on. It’s pretty durable, and is incredibly reliable. The bike comes with pretty large-diameter wheel that are ideal for rolling fast over the roughest of terrains. This is our best go-to mountain bike from the list.
However, if you think there’s something that is way better than any of the mountain bikes mentioned here, then tell us and we might add them to our list of best mountain bikes. You’d be doing your biker mates a favor.